Annual return (GSTR 9) to be filed once in a year by all registered taxpayers under GST including who is registered under composition levy scheme. It consists of details regarding the supplies (sales) made and received during the year under different tax heads i.e. CGST, SGST & IGST. It consolidates the information furnished in the monthly/quarterly returns during the year.
|Read Also: How to File Annual Return GSTR-9 for Fy 2017-18
Who should file GSTR-9 ?
All the registered taxable persons under GST must file Annual Return of GSTR 9. However, the following persons are not required to file GSTR 9
- Input Service distributors
- Casual Taxable Person
- Non-resident taxable persons
- Persons paying TDS u.s 51 of GST Act.
Under GST, annual return is to be furnished in GSTR-9 (recently notified on September 4, 2018). In addition, as per Section 35 of CGST Act, 2017, every tax payer whose turnover exceeds Rs 2 crore during a financial year, is required to submit audited annual accounts and a reconciliation statement in GSTR-9C.
The Government on Thursday through the notification No. 49/ 2018 – Central tax dated September 13, 2018 has notified the format for GSTR-9C.
Types of return under GSTR-9 ?
There are 4 types of return under GSTR 9 :
- GSTR 9 : GSTR 9 should be filed by the regular taxpayers filing GSTR 1, GSTR 2, GSTR 3B.
- GSTR 9A – GSTR 9A should be filed by the persons registered under composition scheme under GST.
- GSTR 9B – GSTR 9B should be filed by the e-commerce operators who have filed GSTR 8 during the financial year.
- GSTR 9C – GSTR 9C should be filed by the taxpayers whose annual turnover exceeds Rs 2 crores during the financial year. All such taxpayers are also required to get their accounts audited and file a copy of audited annual accounts and reconciliation statement of tax already paid and tax payable as per audited accounts along with GSTR 9C.
Due date for filing GSTR-9 ?
GSTR-9 shall be filed on or before 31st December of the subsequent financial year.
For instance, for FY 2017-18, the due date for filing GSTR 9 is 31st December 2018.
Penalty for the late filing of GSTR-9 return ?
Late fees for not filing the GSTR 9 within the due date is Rs. 100 per day per act up to a maximum of an amount calculated at a quarter percent of the taxpayer turnover in the state or union territory. Thus it is Rs 100 under CGST & 100 under SGST, the total penalty is Rs 200 per day of default. There is no late fee on IGST.
Annual Return filing form GSTR-9
Get Expert to file your GSTR-9
Trusted by 55,000+ Happy Businesses